Skip to main content

Mike Protack answers Delaware Libertarian's questions


Mention Mike Protack’s name and you can be sure people will pay attention—if only to take a shot at him. You can read all about his campaign expense problems at Down with Absolutes or find him defending himself in the comments section of Delawareliberal and First State Politics (where attacking him might be the only things that the two Daves, dv, Jason, and the geek have in common).

What I’m trying to do here is not so much centered around Mike or any other specific candidate, but around the idea of clarifying different candidates’ positions on issues that are of interest to Libertarians (and a lot of other folks, as well).

About a month ago I said I wanted to move Libertarians in this state toward actually asking the candidates for all elected offices questions about issues that matter to us.

Truth in advertising: I’m a Libertarian and these are questions that matter to me; I do not speak for the LPD or any organized group of Libertarians.

On the other hand, while my comrades would probably add something to this list I don’t think any of them would quarrel too much with the questions I did include (except maybe #10).

So since Mike makes himself so available in the blogosphere, I wrote and asked him if he’d be willing to go on record answering questions on issues that matter to Libertarians and other freedom-loving Delawareans. He responded promptly and in the affirmative, so here are my questions and his answers:

I allowed him a brief opening statement:


Thanks for the opportunity to answer your questions. Briefly, I am running for Governor to offer decisive leadership for a Better Delaware because I know Delaware's best days are ahead of us. My main issues are health care, education and economic growth but also a change in the tenor and conduct of Delaware government. We must be more open, more responsive and more honest with our citizens.


1. How do you define the difference between being a Republican and a 
Libertarian, and why should Libertarians support you?


I support a level of government as defined in the United States Constitution. I believe in the ideas of freedom, property rights, and individual rights. I think Libertarians should support me because above all else I believe in the superiority of the individual over government or any entity.





2. Do you support the adoption of initiative and referendum in 
Delaware?


Yes, I support that concept and also support completely open government. If your tax dollars are being spent or collected you have a right to attend any government meeting which does either.





3. Do you support outlawing discrimination based on sexual orientation 
in Delaware?


I support a law banning discrimination based on identity. 





4. Do you support the proposed Still-Venables amendment to the 
Delaware constitution that would outlaw and withhold state recognition 
from gay marriages and/or civil unions legal in other states?


Yes I do because I do not want other states to impose any of their laws on this state which run counter to Delaware Law. My support for Stills-Venables is not determined by the civil union or gay aspect of this question but by what I see as the law. This question might be best settled by the federal Court system.





5. Do you support the reduction in the number of registered voters 
necessary to list a political party on Delaware ballots as a "major 
party" from the current requirement (about 25,000 based on the total 
number of registered voters) to 5,000?


Yes, without question.





6. Do you support codifying into state law restrictions on the use of 
eminent domain to seize private property for the "economic development" 
of municipalities and other jurisdictions?


Yes, of course because two things separate this country from most others-the rule of law and property rights. My response for this question follows the response from question #1. A government which says it can give you everything can take everything away from you.





7. Do you support a strengthening of Delaware's Freedom of Information 
Act that will specifically (reply to each):


A. Make any organization receiving or disbursing state funds 
accountable under FOIA not just for the expenditure of state funds but 
for the expenditure of all funds?


B. Require the publication of the salaries of all state legislators 
(or other elected state officials) who have full or part-time positions 
with organizations receiving or disbursing state funds, regardless of 
whether or not those officials are actually paid with state funds?


C. Require the publication of the employment by any organization 
receiving or disbursing state funds of any member of the immediate 
family of a state legislator or elected state official (with immediate 
family defined as spouse, adult children and their spouses)?


Yes, I am getting misty eyed reading this question as I support a much stronger anti nepotism law and also favor restrictions on lawmaker's ability to vote on budget items on agencies which affect their pay, pension or benefits. I support A, B and C.





8. Do you support the legalization of medical marijuana for those with 
terminal or chronic medical conditions with otherwise intractable pain?


I support the use of any drug which will alleviate pain and suffering under the supervision of a Medical Doctor. My support for this proposal can not be looked at as support for drug legalization. I support Rehab and not incarceration for drug offenders and jail time for sellers.





9.Do you support (if either alternate sources of revenue could be 
found, or government expenses trimmed by the roughly 15% necessary to 
account for the difference) the elimination of the Delaware state 
income tax?


I would be in favor of moving towards that goal which is why I support a top down private review of state government and spending by a private agency to make government a better "value" for taxpayers. I also support a Tax Payers Bill of Rights which says the total budget will not increase more than population growth and inflation. The first tax I would like to see eliminated is the gross receipts tax because it is a hidden sales tax on a company's total receipts not their overall profit.



10. Do you support divesting state pension funds from companies that
do business with the government of Sudan until the genocide in Darfur
is ended?


Yes, I support divestment from companies which support the government in Sudan.


You can find Mike Protack’s website here.

I invite comments and analysis of these responses; I’d also like to hear (especially from Libertarians) what you think of the questions.

I’ll reserve my own thoughts for the Comments as time goes by; I offered Mike the space, as I will offer it to all the other candidates within the next few weeks, and he deserves the opportunity to answer in his own words, with those words being the main body of the post.

Comments

Brian Shields said…
Hmm.. stirred enough interest to make me check out his site. Then I see Delacare. Ick.

Education.. some common sense items, some turkeys. I had a quality education without wifi and laptops... I don't see the need now.

Gov't Reform section sounds good.

JObs and growth are turkeys as well... Unions making decisions and state paid solutions.


I could go on, but basically some very good ideas, some ok ideas, and some horrible ones.
Protack's answers on nondiscrimination and same-sex marriage sound like the sort of smiley-face conservative approach taken by Mike Huckabee nationally and Dino Rossi, the R candidate for Washington Gov in 2004 and probably 08 as well. Dino used to not answer questions about same-sex marriage and abortion, saying they are pretty much federal issues a governor can't do much about.

Hah! as Chris Matthews would say.

So Protack says he opposes discrimination based on "identity." Does that include sexual orientation, or does Protack believe being gay is a hedonistic lifestyle choice?

And for marriage, he bucks it to the federal courts. No lose there- they either deny it under DOMA or they are handy activist judge punching bags for imposing it on Delaware.

Knowing nothing but what I read on his website, the creepy thing about this guy is his willingess to post that POW-confession-style statement by his kids about what a good governor Dad will be. They seem young for that sort of thing.

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Rescue (?) and child-related gun violence in Delaware

In my post about the idiotic over-reaction to a New Jersey 10-year-old posing with his new squirrel rifle , Dana Garrett left me this response: One waits, apparently in vain, for you to post the annual rates of children who either shoot themselves or someone else with a gun. But then you Libertarians are notoriously ambivalent to and silent about data and facts and would rather talk abstract principles and fear monger (like the government will confiscate your guns). It doesn't require any degree of subtlety to see why you are data and fact adverse. The facts indicate we have a crisis with gun violence and accidents in the USA, and Libertarians offer nothing credible to address it. Lives, even the lives of children, get sacrificed to the fetishism of liberty. That's intellectual cowardice. OK, Dana, let's talk facts. According to the Children's Defense Fund , which is itself only querying the CDCP data base, fewer than 10 children/teens were killed per year in Delaw

The Obligatory Libertarian Tax Day Post

The most disturbing factoid that I learned on Tax Day was that the average American must now spend a full twenty-four hours filling out tax forms. That's three work days. Or, think of it this way: if you had to put in two hours per night after dinner to finish your taxes, that's two weeks (with Sundays off). I saw a talking head economics professor on some Philly TV channel pontificating about how Americans procrastinate. He was laughing. The IRS guy they interviewed actually said, "Tick, tick, tick." You have to wonder if Governor Ruth Ann Minner and her cohorts put in twenty-four hours pondering whether or not to give Kraft Foods $708,000 of our State taxes while demanding that school districts return $8-10 million each?

New Warfare: I started my posts with a discussion.....

.....on Unrestricted warfare . The US Air force Institute for National Security Studies have developed a reasonable systems approach to deter non-state violent actors who they label as NSVA's. It is an exceptionally important report if we want to deter violent extremism and other potential violent actors that could threaten this nation and its security. It is THE report our political officials should be listening to to shape policy so that we do not become excessive in using force against those who do not agree with policy and dispute it with reason and normal non-violent civil disobedience. This report, should be carefully read by everyone really concerned with protecting civil liberties while deterring violent terrorism and I recommend if you are a professional you send your recommendations via e-mail at the link above so that either 1.) additional safeguards to civil liberties are included, or 2.) additional viable strategies can be used. Finally, one can only hope that politici